Monday, July 21, 2008

Triathlon Training

I'm preparing for a triathlon this weekend. I wouldn't go so far as to say training as it is a mini-triathlon with short distances and I haven't even practiced transitioning from one sport to the next. But I've been nervous about the bike ride. Last year my chain fell off just as I got into the big uphill. This year, I have a new bike (well an old one that was free by side of the road) and most of the time that I am on it, I'm pulling a kid or two in the bike trailer.

I needed a solo ride and told my husband that I was going out during our toddler's afternoon nap. He said that if I waited until after nap we could all go together. As much as I like our family bike rides, I needed to ride alone -- not just for practice, but for freedom, too.

And so I made it out on my own. I went up a long hill, much like the one on the race course, and I enjoyed sweating it out. I'm not sure that I could have made that whole thing with the trailer attached. 

I got home just in time to go to a concert in the park with my family. I felt invigorated, relaxed, and happy to see my kids whose whines earlier in the afternoon were good incentive to go for a ride.

No comments: