Friday, July 31, 2009

Triathlon Get-Away Weekend

My life has been like a triathlon lately so I'm just sitting down to report on last weekend's actual event. It was my third annual Danskin Triathlon, a sprint series. This one takes place in Webster, MA. The best part of the event is gathering with family -- sisters, partners, nieces. Over 2,000 women compete and usually I am the last in my family to start since the younger ages are placed in later wave starts. This year my niece had a late wave and I was able to see her finish. No matter how great or horrible your race is, the finish is awesome and watching someone come down the chute and through the finish is awesome, too.

It is important to note that this is my one weekend away from my kids. I relish that since I stay home with my kids and see them A LOT. My mother-in-law commented that someday this would probably be an event that I took my kids and husband to. I replied quickly (perhaps too quickly) that I would not be taking the rest of the family. I spent a half hour just trying to find my niece in that crowd! Safety aside, I think that every mother deserves one weekend away from her kids.  A triathlon is a breeze compared to parenting and the sense of accomplishment comes in a matter of hours rather than years.

No comments: