Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Aching Back

I confess that I've done it again -- seized up my back. You would think that I would have learned from the last time, back in February where two great days of extra long cross-country skis (and no stretching) tightened my hamstrings and sent the stress straight to my lower back. Through the spring I was a diligent stretcher. I listened to professional advice. I stretched throughout the day. I did yoga moves with the kids. Then summer hit. I've been enjoying doing lots of sports, but forgot about stretching.

It was a 10-miler road run that did me in. One long, fast stride on a downhill that sent sharp pains to my back. I had to hold back and tell my running partner to fly down the hill. I couldn't bend down and touch my toes after the run. I'm on my fourth rest day and I've been crabby with the kids. Trying to buckle a wiggly toddler into a car seat is about all I can handle.

I have been using the car more than usual to tote the kids around town as I can't use the bike trailer or running jogger and as I've discovered that heated seats in the summer time can be bliss for a bad back.

I already miss exercising, alone and with my kids. I'm also mad at myself for not doing something so simple as stretching every day. Yup, I'm learning the heard way that my body is not as young as it used to be. I think I'll be signing up for a yoga class this fall. 

No comments: